The Warrnambool Orderly Room was constructed in 1868 on the Warrnambool Government Reserve and expanded to include a Gun Room and Residence in the late 1880s. The masonry Orderly Room was designed by the Shire Engineer A. Kerr and was regarded to be one of the most elegant of the volunteer defence association buildings in Victoria. The building designed by council engineer, Andrew Kerr and was opened with a grand ball on New Year’s Eve 1868, with the celebrations were deemed so successful that another ball was staged the following evening. The then Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Manners Sutton, claimed it to be the finest Orderly Room he had seen in the Colony.